Monday, July 30, 2007

Wolverine #55

One-sentence summary: What, did that just happen?

This is an issue with a truly surprising two-page spread. I'm somewhat intrigued by the Romulus story, though I'm sure it will ultimately disappoint. I more or less hate Wild Child, but then again I never really liked Sabretooth. The plot's a bit half-baked, but it's not so bad right now. Maybe it's because the other Wolverine title is Origins, which is awful on a brand new scale, but I sort of like Wolverine since Loeb and Bianchi took over.

Have I mentioned that Bianchi's stuff is amazing? Honestly, the hyper-realism of his art is what sells this story. As this story is just so ridiculous, anything but Bianchi's gorgeous art would really just make the story campy, or at least far-fetched at best, but somehow it's grounded by the painted panels. Very rarely do I credit artwork with so much, but in this case it definitely deserves it.

All in all, not too bad at all. A bit out-there, but the artwork really does make it worthwhile.

No comments: