Thursday, July 19, 2007

All Flash #1

One-sentence summary: even w/multiple artists doing this, the story stayed cohesive as a way to introduce Wally West back into the DCU as the Flash, but not much more.

All Flash (sort of an odd name for a one-shot introduction, but, hey, whatever) wasn't a bad comic by any stretch, really, it just didn't do much for me. I think that's mostly because I grew up w/Impulse and the Flash from the cartoons; my Flashes are usually jokesters with the books having a generally light-hearted feel. This is so far from light-hearted it borders on down-right horrific with the fate of Inertia; Waid definitely does a darker job on this than most his stuff. I'm not complaining that this book wasn't jokey; I didn't really expect that, as Bart Allen is dead because of Wally's return. I was just hoping for something even moderately more upbeat than this for the Flash. As is, what I got was a mostly vengeful and depressing comic with an end foreshadowing what look to be some of the worst Flash characters since...ever, really.

However, I should stay positive. The art can definitely be nice in the book, and the story, as one that had to be told, is pretty well done. Wally West is back, and this book cements him back in place.

No comments: