Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mighty Avengers #4

One-sentence summary: Bendis and Cho deliver an issue of high quality, with plenty of story, fighting, and some beautiful art.

I like this series, and I liked this issue maybe the best of any so far. The art was fantastic (who knew Cho could draw robots so well?), and the story didn't just progress, but had multiple major events happen. The shot of Sentry's wife...that was so well done. I really hope it has a major point. I really like how Bendis is making the Avengers global again; by that I mean that he's having them face problems which are affecting everyone, and not just, say, targeted specifically at them. Having Ultron, with conviction, threaten the entire world? Pretty cool.

Cho really does just a fantastic job. I'm in love with the backup Iron Man suit. Also, Ares is awesome. As he was brought on because he was a Wolverine-Thor, it's funny that I like him better than either of those characters. His fight choreography at the end of the issue was probably some of the best I've seen in quite awhile (certainly up there with Karate Kid and Batman's flying martial arts fight from Brave and the Bold last week). Just awesome.

I thought the though bubbles were briefly overused at the beginning, but only for about a page or two, then it slacked off on them. Not a horrible complaint, really, but I felt I shouldn't just call the book perfect, because it's not. Still, though, the fact I had to go to that for a complaint should tell you how good this issue is.

No comments: