Friday, July 27, 2007

All-Star Batman & Robin #6

One-sentence summary: Frank Miller gives us another installment of his overly grim-and-gritty Batman storyline.

I'm not really a huge fan of this book. I know Frank Miller is single-handedly responsible for Batman's regeneration as a franchise, as well as breaking censorship boundaries for years. I like Frank Miller, generally. I just think this book is, well, too Frank Miller-y, if that makes sense. The dialogue is just heavy-handed, even for Miller.

"Crazy kid. She'll get herself KILLED , here. She'll get herself KILLED."

And there's a dozen lines like that.

Jim Lee does a good job with the art; I'm just not into this book. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I'm just not interested in this book. Sorry Frank Miller fans.

Also, as a very rare aside, I'm probably a bit bitter towards Frank Miller for doing the Spirit movie, as I think he's all wrong for that character.

No comments: