Friday, July 20, 2007

JLA #11

One-sentence summary: It's a brave move to do a stylistically different filler issue featuring two of the more minor characters this early in a book's lifetime, but with the JLA they can get away with it without the result being too bad.

I'm not sure what I think of this one. I've been very much a fan of the first ten issues of JLA, so on one hand I definitely wanted more of the same; however, a mix-up here and there is good, and for a filler/standalone issue, this is actually pretty good. The art is definitely what makes it; without it, this would have been just another disaster/trapped story. However, the art, or lack thereof in some scenes, sets the proper mood for the issue. I also liked the touch of Red Arrow using trick arrows; too often in out of the normal stories, the characters tend to act out-of-character and forget about their individual bags of tricks.

I'm pretty neutral to Red Arrow, and have at times actively disliked Vixen, but I will give this story credit that I like them both a bit better, for different reasons, now. Red Arrow showed some grit, which is usually a plus for a character, and I was intrigued by the reveal on Vixen's powers.

Not too bad for a standalone. Definitely worth a look, even if it's just a brief one.

No comments: