Friday, July 20, 2007

Ghost Rider #13

One-sentence summary: Hulk smashes, then doesn't smash.

I guess I can buy that Ghost Rider (or, as the issue states, Johnny Blaze) would want to go fight the Hulk to protect people. I can buy that he would get his butt handed to him because, well, he's Ghost Rider and he's trying to take on a suped-up Hulk. So far, this all makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is the mid-act "Ghost Rider has boundless power" thing. I'm not going to pretend to be a long-time Ghost Rider fan; I have no idea what his previous levels of power were, nor am I going to pretend that in Comic Book World such things are ever concrete. However, on an issue-to-issue basis Ghost Rider deals with, well, zombies, bad super villain zombies, and very weak incarnations of the devil. While he doesn't have a particular problem dealing with them, he does not show god-like strength either.

Here's what I'm getting at: it's really dumb and forced to have a Ghost Rider tie-in to World War Hulk, at least one in which he tries to take on Hulk. This story has no impact on either the Ghost Rider story arc, nor the World War Hulk story arc. It is not a particularly compelling story on its own, and the art, which works well for Ghost Rider's genre, does not work so well here with Hulk.

No comments: