Monday, July 23, 2007

Birds of Prey #108

One-sentence summary: Birds of Prey wraps up the Spy Smasher storyline in a very satisfactory way, as well as offering a fantastic 4-page spread, as well as offering a bit of nice epilogue.

I like Birds of Prey; I didn't initially, but it has definitely grown on me. Maybe that's due to the fact that you can't help but slowly grow to like most the characters due to Simone's crisp dialogue, or maybe just because it's a good book. In this issue you get a great end to Spy Smasher (anyone who's been following the storyline will be muttering "bitch had it coming," guaranteed), followed by some likable aftermath with no awkward attempts to bridge to the next storyline (which I appreciated). Again, while this is obviously not an issue to start reading on, the storyline is worth the trade paperback.

I might rave about the writing, but the art for Birds of Prey is excellent too, in such a way that it's just that right level of great that it complements the story in such a way it blends. The art team did great work on this issue.

I just checked and found out this is Simone's last issue (that and the cover to the next issue is absolutely abhorrent). This is a sad, sad thing.

I'm sad to see Simone's run end, but I'm glad it ended on a pretty good note.

No comments: