Monday, July 30, 2007

Crossing Midnight #9

One-sentence summary: The latest story comes to a heartening end, though with plenty of implications for future stories.

I like Crossing Midnight. I think the light colors give the artwork a perfect feel for the book, a cross among fairy tale, comic book, and oriental art. I like the dialogue, which could have been pulled out of a Ghibli film (although it's darker than any Ghibli film too). I like the stark images of violence among the rest of this, standing out all the more because of it. I like the almost relaxed story-telling, that, though it's plotted incredibly well and moves along at a fine pace, feels like you're drifting down a river watching these events happen.

Crossing Midnight is probably the best Vertigo book out there (maybe Exterminators, but both are great). I love it. As the reader gets more and more a feel for this detailed, complicated universe, the more interesting it becomes. Crossing Midnight is truly an excellent book.

No comments: