Thursday, July 19, 2007

Annhilation Conquest: Quasar #1 (of 4)

One-sentence summary: Annhilation continues to produce good comics, exploring forgotten characters now in the spotlight, along with good art and an interesting plot.

I won't hide it -- I'm a fan of the Annhilation stuff. Honestly, I'm liking it every bit as much as any other mega-event going on in the major comics, more than the vast majority of them. There certainly is quite a bit of potential in all these characters, and as the vast majority of the Marvel universe has been dubbed "expendable," these are issues with plot developments that can include the destruction of populated planets, the mass-slaying of an entire race, etc. Anything can happen on any scale; consequently, some pretty cool things actually happen, and probably will have a lasting effect.

Now, this is just one of the several Annhilation titles out, so I should review it individually now that I've given my speech about the coolness of the whole arc. I'm liking the character of the new Quasar, Captain Mar-vell's daughter, now stuck with two legacies. My only complaint in this was that her relationship with Moondragon was almost over-emphasized, but that's a pretty minor point overall. Also, well, I'm pretty sure you can see Moondragon's nipples in every shot where it's at all possible, which was a bit, well, dumb in my opinion, but that's what happens when you have an artist from Vampirella.

All in all, I've consistently liked the Annhilation titles. I imagine that not all of the titles coming out this summer for it will be absolutely necessary to understand what's going on in the overarching story, but they'll probably be good fun all the same. I gotta say that I liked this.

No comments: