Thursday, July 26, 2007

Amazing Spider-Man #542

One-sentence summary: Peter seems to have taken a page from Penance's book and broods and threatens through this dark Spider-Man story.

So, thus far we have Spidey tracking down the Kingpin because Aunt May was shot on his orders, alright? This issue is the showdown between Spidey (or, rather, Peter Parker) and Kingpin, and it goes, in what was a pleasant surprise to me, exactly as makes sense. During the fight, Peter guarantees that he will kill the Kingpin, just not yet.

I don't like this storyline. Spidey's always been emotional, but never this angry. He could've just left the fight as is and not guaranteed the death (which I'm sure he won't go through on for some reason, but still). Why now? He's never struck me as a selfish character, really -- whiny, sure, but never selfish -- so why after seeing loads of other innocents die because of Fisk does this one make him so much angrier than the others and pushes him to a level he's never approached before? I don't know, really, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It doesn't feel right for Peter's character.

This was an alright issue, overall. The art's fine, I just don't like having such a dark Spider-man comic, and so consitently. I realize they need to be dark sometimes, but it's been this way for awhile now, and I just want a fun Spidey comic again. Hopefully in the upcoming stories we see some return of the character of Spidey.

No comments: