Monday, July 30, 2007

Blue Beetle #17

One-sentence summary: Though a one-shot issue, this gives us a pretty good story, a bit of good dialogue, and a nice look at the new Beetle developing as a hero.

What can I say? This is a title that's grown on me. I used to be negative about it, but whether my outlook changed or the book just started get better writing, I'm much more in favor of it now than before. The action is fun, the dialogue is great, and the subplots are numerous but handled well. This one's no exception, though it slacks off (somewhat) on the subplots and focuses mostly on Jamie becoming a more experienced hero, dealing with some failure all the while.

It's nice to see a fun book like this deal well with a darker issue of heroism without losing its tone. There are still jokes being made, there are still things to make you smile, but it also deals succinctly with the consequences, and proper reactions, to failure. Good stuff.

I liked this issue. The art was clean, the writing good, and generally a good issue for the growth of the new Blue Beetle.

No comments: