Monday, July 30, 2007

Silver Surfer Requiem #3 (of 4)

One-sentence summary: Straczynski's obsession with death continues here, the latest installment of the Silver Surfer's alternate-universe swan song, here embodying themselves in a comic book diatribe against relgious wars (and almost against religion).

I've been alright with this series so far. It's been a bit, well, sentimental (?) so far, but it hasn't been too bad. I liked the last issue the best. This one? I could have done without.

This issue was either too blatant in its rants (does anyone who read comic books really support religion-fueled wars?), or too confusing in its conclusions. It ends with Surfer being worshipped as some sort of humanist God (which seems to be one step away from a oxymoron) after destroying established religious headquarters. Not sure really what to think of that.

The art was very nice in this, and the story wasn't really bad, I'm just not sure I was a big fan of how it got its point across. No, I'm sure of it: I disliked how they got the point across.

No comments: