Thursday, July 19, 2007

Brave and the Bold #5

One-sentence summary: Brave and the Bold is a comic which I think is usually underrated, and even though this is a bit of a slow issue, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Mark Waid is usually a good writer to look for if you're looking for a fun read. Brave and the Bold continues its tradition of combining characters with Batman and the Legion of Superheroes this time. Nothing universe-shaking, generally, just good ol' fashioned comic book fun, really, and that's what BatB (as I shall now refer to it, even though I just negated the times-saving offered by the acronym by typing this lengthy explanation of it) is. The art is fine for the book, and it was fun to see Batman give the Legion a run for their money. I think Waid's Brainy was probably the highlight of the issue for me, honestly, though I did like the triple-charged Supergirl.

The nice thing about BatB is that Waid takes these characters I have no real fondness for (Blue Beetle, Supergirl) and somehow makes them enjoyable for me. Maybe it's just nice to see characters who rarely get exposure out of their own book thrown into a new situation; seeing Blue Beetle go fanboy on Batman in an earlier issue may be the highlight of the entire series for me. Though this wasn't my favorite issue, I still highly recommend BatB for anyone (like me) who likes a break from the giant, hero-destryong events of Marvel and DC.

No comments: