Monday, July 30, 2007

JSA Classified #28

One-sentence summary: Hot on the heels of the pretty good storylines about Doctor Midnight and Wildcat we get this mediocre story about Jakeem Thunder, a rather hokey hero who should've been allowed to stay dead.

I guess I just think the character of Jakeem Thunder is sort of dumb. I mean, the idea worked alright in the old humorous, campy comics of the 40s, but if you're going to be putting a character in a modern day comic, there really should be more to them than "has a magic genie." I know that now it's a 5th dimensional creature or whatever, but it's still a freaking genie as far as I'm concerned. The issue's big moral lesson seems to me to indicate that, in actuality, he's useless. In case you're curious, the twist (I'll ruin it for you because this isn't a great issue) is that for everything the genie does an equal and opposite thing happens elsewhere, so that for every person he makes a home for, someone loses theirs. This would indicate, to me at least, that in every fight every blow he lands is just a super-powered punch someone else is going to have to deal with, or something similar. Can he only wish for things with relatively no consequence now?

I just don't like this character, really, so seeing a comic that includes him and Green Lantern acting like Batman all of the sudden doesn't do much for me.

No comments: