Monday, July 23, 2007

The Goon #19

One-sentence summary: Eric Powell's long-awaited return to the Goon is slightly, well, disappointing, but it's still a very good comic on its own.

I love the Goon. Not too many non-Marvel/DC comics are going to get reviews here, but the Goon will always have a space here because, all the way back to the Albatross print and before, it has been a great comic. It continues to be good, too, but this issue should just not be approached with the level of excitement I had. In my own mind, Powell was hitting a great stride around Goon #17 and #18, involving a large cast of characters, each one fleshed out very well. Here we open up with a random rant about Oprah, then a sort of catch-up issue to get reacquainted with the world of The Goon.

I'm moderately certain the break in the Goon was to allow Powell to work on a Goon graphic novel, exploring his past, particularly Chinatown. I'm really, really looking forward to this, along with all future issues of the Goon. I heartily recommend all of the Goon, even if this issue is a bit lackluster compared to the shining awesomeness that is the norm.

No comments: