Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mystic Arcana -- Black Knight

One-sentence summary: Marvel's magic mini-series continues in its second part with a generally interesting story involving rarely seen characters.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Ilyana issue in June, but I really enjoyed this. I thought the art for the Black Knight portion was great, and what was used in the Ian McNee subplot was fitting. His glasses were the highpoint of the art for me, just due to the contrast they presented with clear-cut, basic images against the almost-blurred reality around them.

The storylines were interesting. I liked reading the Black Knight background -- I thought the * call back they used to reference an old Tomb of Dracula was good, almost like a reminder you're reading a comic book, or at least one that's a part of the Marvel universe. I liked how with the Ian McNee subplot you have things not directly tie in with the Black Knight story, but you do have thematic connections.

I'm intrigued to see if this is going to last past just the four issues, or if not. I think it's kind of cool, but I've never been a good judge of the best-selling comics. This is pretty interesting, but I'd probably recommend waiting on the trade paperback for it, just due to the fact most the issue is background stories.

No comments: