Friday, August 3, 2007

New Warriors #3

One-sentence summary: Man, nothing really gets me excited like a comic featuring Night Thrasher AND Jubilee.

You know why this series is just a bad idea? The whole reason the New Warriors were used to start the Civil War is that they were a bad joke. They were very boring characters, with boring powers, with boring writers. So, as good an idea as it is to just add Jubilee into the mix to liven things up -- well, that's not a good idea at all. In fact, I think you can make a nice little chart showing how, in on-going titles, sales dip with Jubilee's presence, and books that always have her in them more or less always do poorly (e.g., Generation X).

So, as a bad idea, how is it? Unsurprisingly, it's a dull book. I'm not particularly drawn to any of the characters or what they're dealing with; also, I'm not sure we've actually seen a real fight yet. Also, why did Wolverine just appear? Isn't he busy? How is he there? Does every character in the Marvel 616-universe have the additional superpower of "Wolverine summoning" where he'll just pop-up to plug his crappy book?

This is a waste of a book. There was no demand for this, and they're not doing a good job with the material they do have; why does this title exist? I can think of series that got cancelled I'd rather read than this. I certainly hope it picks up soon.

No comments: