Thursday, August 2, 2007

Countdown #39

One-sentence summary: Despite a lack of Mary Marvel, not too bad an issue, with Trickster/Piper stealing the show again.

I had the same deal with this issue of countdown I've had with the last; I reach the end and say "Is that all?" One gripe: I think the "History of the Multiverse" segment has gotten out of hand. 4 pages to introduce one tiny plot element and just rehash what's been said two or three times elsewhere in the series? But, a more minor gripe.

Simplified review: Holly and the Amazons? Meh. The Question and Batgirl's reveal? Also meh -- mostly because I never cared about Batgirl, no matter how much they wanted me to. Palmerverse stuff? Nothing really happened, so I guess meh.

Now, Trickster and Piper? That was great. They really are a great pair of characters together, and watching them run from the Suicide Squad while constantly bickering was great. Karate Kid and Oracle? I'm watching that storyline, as it seems to be pretty interesting; it's been good so far. Jimmy Olsen? Entertaining, at least

Overall, pretty fun. Not a ground-breaking comic by any stretch, but it was a fun issue, even if it lacked any follow-up with Zatanna, one of my favorite characters. I'm patient enough I can wait another week for that, hah. Beyond that, there wasn't much in pages given to the storylines I don't care about, which was nice, whereas there was quite a bit for Karate Kid and Trickster/Piper, which was much appreciated. Fun stuff.

1 comment:

Kyle Latino said...

See, COUNTDOWN is a perfect example of why I'm not currently getting any DC books. After IDENTITY CRISIS, COUNTDOWN TO INFINITE CRISIS, INFINITE CRISIS, and 52 I have had it with mega-events.

Now, I know MARVEL isn't doing much better, but I'm only getting CAP, IRON FIST, THOR, and IRONMAN. With the exception of IRONMAN, my books are staying out of WWH. Other than that, I'm getting CRIMINAL and FABLES. Each book is just doing it's own thing. It's relaxing.

Also, have you read WALKING DEAD?