Friday, August 3, 2007

Metal Men #1 (of 8)

One-sentence summary: Hopefully this will make more sense next month?

I wanted to like this title, but as is I'm just a bit confused. Is this an elseworlds title, or is it regular continuity? My reason for the confusion is that it's being pulled, it seems, from both Superman/Batman and 52. I know Superman/Batman started off as a Earth-1 series or whatever, but it's definitely Elseworlds at this point, in that nothing that happens there matches up to regular continuity in any way, even given massive allowances for errors. So, I'm not sure which in the Metal Men line it is. Also, we haven't really gotten to the story yet; we've a flashback sequence with Dr. Morrow and Magnus (who I thought were colleagues, but apparently were mentor/mentee first?) and an appearance of not-flashback Magnus at the end. Also, an action sequence at the beginning which hasn't really tied into anything yet.

I like the dialogue between the Metal Men (poor Lead), but the confusion is the biggest aspect of this title for me, and the art doesn't really help it (I don't like the artist's style, personally). Hopefully next month will see a better review for this, as I like the Metal Men and want their comics to be good, but right now there's just not enough in this issue for a story; they're just events waiting to be connected.

Also, "based off ideas by Grant Morrison"? He now gets credit for the Metal Men? That seems odd.

No comments: