Monday, August 6, 2007

Justice League Unlimited #36

One-sentence summary: I post a review for this all-ages kid's comic because, well, it's good.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the fun comics. I think we all should, really, because as much as some things might make a person think otherwise, that is the source of the entire industry and generally remains a large portion of its income. To deny the place in the modern age of fun comics would be pretty ridiculous, as I think it's bad enough most of them are sold as more or less kids' only books. I may start posting reviews here of at least the really excellent titles that are coming out under this, and one of those is definitely JLU.

Based off the cartoon show, the art in this book maintains the cartoon's feel, which was something I grew up on and thus can appreciate, even if it doesn't fully work in a comic. The writers rotate on this, a new one writing about a new character every month who has the spotlight, while other characters are also involved in the story. In this month's issue, we get a Question who's much more Rorschach than he is any form of the Question, filled with paranoia and going days and days without sleep while solving the case, every sentence chopped off. His dialogue is absolutely perfect for a character; I would buy a comic starring him, certainly.

So, in this kids book, we get fun references to more or less every major conspiracy theory and monster in urban legend in a handful of pages, all the while being convinced of the Question's growing insanity until the last couple of pages where the reveal occurs.

This is a comic I would buy to make a kid fall in love with comics. You get them introduced to all sorts of characters every month, you have fun and accessible stories, and they've got good writing. If Dan Didio kills this title off due to his hatred of the DCAU, I'll lose one of my favorite titles and the industry will lose one of the most underappreciated titles out there.

No comments: