Monday, July 21, 2008

Moon Knight #20

One-sentence summary: Neat?

I'm a bit confused on this one. Don't get me wrong -- I've liked this run of Moon Knight quite a bit. I wish they had let this one be a MAX title; I think it really could've flown under those conditions. As is, they've let it interact with the mainstream Marvel universe in pretty interesting ways (its connection with the registration is, I think, fairly well-done). That said, here's why I'm confused about this one:

They've been building up to this issue for quite awhile, with previews of it going into books months ago. The way they made this such a large issue, clearly they think (rightfully) that Moon Knight could support a larger audience and are trying to draw their attention to it with a new reader-friendly issue that also is packed with bonuses for a relatively cheap price. I'm completely in support of that. What I don't get, then, is why you use this opportunity for a one-shot that's sort-of not impressive. This was actually a pretty good idea for a story arc -- villains inducing lycanthropy in bums and kidnapped folks in order to have underground werewolf fights -- so to waste it on a one-shot sort of bummed me out. Also, I always thought the rule of thumb for getting new readers was to get them hooked, not just show them a neat comic. I suppose both techniques can work, but I'd just think the former would just naturally sell more (maybe I'm wrong on this; I don't have the numbers to support either way).

All I'm saying is that while this was a good issue with a neat idea at its core, it (odd for the age of 6-issue arcs) felt rather rushed and didn't really showcase Moon Knight doing what he does best (moral-pushing thug-fighting). Oh well -- I guess if being confused about the way a good story was plotted is the worst I have to complain about, it's probably a pretty good comic.

No comments: