Friday, July 18, 2008

Final Crisis - Rogues' Revenge #1 (of 3)

One-sentence summary: This final crisis "tie-in" seems like it could be an interesting series, and the detailed, almost gritty art really works well for a series about villains.

First off, I need to get my biggest criticism of this series off my chest, simply due to the fact it has no bearing on the quality of the book. I hate DC's habit lately of doing tie-ins that are, in no way, tie-ins. At Marvel, even if the tie-in sucks, it usually has something to do with what it's being tied in to. Not so at DC. You'll have Countdown tie-ins with characters from 52, or with Captain Carrot for Pete's sake, and now you have a final crisis tie-in that I can almost safely assume will have nothing to do w/Final Crisis.

That being said, it could be a good story. The first issue was a good set-up, some neat stuff happens, and the artwork really was pretty neat. However, as it's the first issue, it's tough to judge how the series will be; the main plot of the story hasn't really been reached yet.

All in all, I think this series has definite potential, and I'm digging the art, but don't expect any actual connection with Final Crisis. I mean, why should you -- it's just a tie-in with the words "Final Crisis" in the title. Friggin' DC.

No comments: