Monday, July 14, 2008

Comics that have gotten better, or just stayed awesome

It's a companion piece to the last post. I'm avoiding comics which did stink and continue to because, well, there's just little reason to ever talk about that. For that matter, I'll save the more detailed discussion of these for later, too.

Nova & Guardians of the Galaxy: Two different titles, I know, but they're their own niche, so I feel they belong together. Plus they both rule. I know, I'm being super-literary today. Also: Cosmo is crazy-awesome.

Criminal, Captain America, most everything Brubaker touches.

Iron Fist (though creative team is changing so the future is in the air).

Doktor Sleepless: It's so dreamy. Seriously, though, Sleepless is probably my favorite comic of the last couple years, or at least tied with Cooke's run on the Spirit. Every issue pushes the boundaries of comics, in my opinion (or at least the boundaries common to comics). You can enjoy Sleepless without thinking about it, but I wouldn't recommend it -- it's much more fun to really get into it.

Incredible Hercules: Probably my favorite Marvel title right now. This one just keeps getting better and better. It wraps itself in the Marvel universe, drawing on characters from its rich past, all while being distinctly original and mythic. Truly one of the best things out there, proving again the talents of Pak and Van Lente.

Batman: I'll say it right now: I'm a Morrison fan-boy. That being said, I prefer his writing when he's really unhinged (more Doom Patrol, less JLA - style). So, Batman RIP is right up my alley, and I'm excited to see what will happen, I'll admit.

JSA: I liked this series already, but the Gog arc has been really something. I thought it might be a bit forced, coming off as a "remember when you all liked Kingdom Come?" but its been its own breed. Plus, seeing poor Commander Steel get the shaft in the last issue -- it was actually sort of tragic.

There's others, don't get me wrong, but those are among my favorites...the ones I'll rush to on the shelves on Wednesdays.

No comments: