Thursday, July 24, 2008

Daredevil #109


One-sentence summary: Brubaker & Rucka continue to deliver tense Daredevil stories with their grim, realistic edge, with pencils by Lark perfectly complementing things.

I should put out there right now, I don't think I've read a Brubaker/Rucka venture I haven't really loved (GCPD was a fantastic DC title, for example). It should come as no surprise, then, that I really enjoy their run on Daredevil. The writing is tense, the consequences real (for Daredevil, at least), and the plots non-obvious. I also like that we spend as much time with Murdoch -- maybe more -- than with Daredevil. He's an attorney, it's a busy life, and it actually shows in the comics. Crazy!

That being said, it's not perfect. For one thing, even for Brubaker, this is a dark comic. It's been a very long time since Murdoch's life has had anything good happen in it. If this was the only comic I read, that might be a bit of a bummer, but as is is just a change of pace.

There, I did it, I levied a (milktoast) criticism against a Brubaker comic. And I didn't even get struck by lightning or anything. Weird.

2 comments:

Christine Hanefalk said...

Good review, and as far as Brubaker goes, I agree with you. I like his run a lot, especially the amount of realism he adds to the book (the way he writes Matt's senses in particular, though I suspect it may be something of a shock to those used to the way Bendis took Daredevil's powers from heightened physical senses to way into the realm of the paranormal). Bru also has a firm grasp of the characters and plot threads are never left dangling for long. I do feel that the book is a little too dark though, which is something I'm also seeing being addressed in this arc and hopefully the coming ones as well. I think the amount of criticism against the latest destruction of Matt's life may have come as a shock to both Brubaker and Marvel editorial, since the old maxim of "the more backed up against the wall he is, the better" is being questioned by more and more fans.

Anyway, also just letting you know that I'm adding a link to this post on my Daredevil blog. Have a good one! :)

Christine Hanefalk said...

Thanks for your comment! Yeah, since starting my blog I've made it a point of keeping up with everything DD-related on the Internet (to the extent possible), which includes reviews and what people say on message boards. It seems like a majority of fans and reviewers are saying that enough is enough in the depression department, and I can sort of see the comic itself begin to react against it. It's quite interesting really.

Personally I was a big fan of the Without Fear arc. It was one of the most emotional reads I've had in a very long time. I'm less of a fan of the actual implications of that arc though, and I'm definitely part of the "give Matt Murdock a break" chorus.