Thursday, July 17, 2008

Marvel 1985 #3 (of 5)

One-sentence summary: Millar, predictably, provides a compelling story, more steeped in humanity than much we've seen.

I'm honestly not sure of the numbers/popularity of this series. I generally try to avoid that stuff to keep myself unbiased (I'm an easily influenced guy, I'll admit it). That being said, maybe because it's Millar, maybe because it's just been good, but I've always assumed this was a big-selling comic. It just has that epic feel to it.

Tommy Lee Edwards art is great for this, giving it a bit less of a cartoonish feel than the average comic, which clearly fits the story well. At the same time, though, its sketchiness removes the story from reality; I'd say the art is sort of magic realist, which I think appropriately defines this story, too (though that will depend on the how of the story, which hasn't been explained yet).

I like this story, and I liked this issue. It's much darker than I thought it would be, but it was a pleasant surprise. Seeing MODOK actually be evil again was sort of refreshing. I think that comic book readers tend to forget that the average villain is supposed to be a villain, not a cartoon (except, of course, in the cartoons).

This has been a great series. If it weren't a name like Millar behind it, I'm sure it'd be one of those great, underrated reads that gains a cult following slowly through the years, but as is, I'm sure it's getting plenty of attention. For once, I'm pretty happy about that -- it deserves it.

No comments: