Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Checkmate #28


One-sentence summary: I love watching two walrus-monsters attack each other as much as the next guy, but isn't this my intrigue series?

If a comic book series promised me walrus-on-walrus action, I'd first wonder why they didn't choose a better choice of words and double-check what part of the comic store I'm in, but then I'd probably pick that book up, knowing my $3 would be well-spent. I'd especially love this if I were told that one giant walrus was transformed from an ex-soldier who can no longer think for himself, but does cause the giant walrus to have a giant tattoo. This sounds awesome. It makes it sound even better if I were promised more of the same in later issues.

Why, oh why, would I think this sounds awesome? Because I like stupid comics, gosh darn it, and if it weren't stupid it sounds like it'd at least be hilarious (ala Nextwave).

So, why am I less than excited about this? Because it's in one of DC's more plot-intensive, intelligent comics. I really like the political intrigue, character-based drama, and plot twists that are the standard of Checkmate arcs.

However, I guess I'd rather have this than the series be canceled. If I just have to get used to Checkmate going from blackmail and diplomacy to walrus-on-walrus fighting, well, I can adapt too (though not into a giant walrus. More into a reader of giant walrus drama).

No comments: