Monday, July 28, 2008

Marvel Comics Presents #11

One-sentence summary: As this 12-issue arc draws near a close, the series continues to output neat one-shots and interesting arcs.

I'd like to think that I like this series for reasons that extend beyond it fitting my stunted attention span, giving me four short stories in a relatively small (30ish pages) frame.

For one thing, I like how it's done a story on the Collective/Guardian/Whatever. He seemed like he should be a gigantically important character, but just got tossed to the side; it's nice to see what's going on with him.

As a general rule, that's what I like about this. It's giving little known characters a chance to get some panels in. I imagine the Hellcat series inspired the current Hellcat mini, which is neat, and I'm enjoying the Machine Man going on right now. The one-shots, while sometimes a bit odd, are usually at least a little enjoyable. This issue had a one-joke Stingray story, but it was still fun. Vanguard (the other 12-issue story) has been good, but this one ended somewhat crazily -- I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

All in all, I'm hoping next issue isn't the last, but I'm not sure. I haven't checked the solicitations. Regardless, it's been a good 12-issue run -- attention span notwithstanding.

No comments: