Saturday, October 13, 2007

Green Arrow/Black Canary #1

One-sentence summary: Picking up from where the Wedding Special left off, this series begins with a partial reveal over the cliffhanger delivered with a good conservative art.

I wasn't sure what to expect out of this series, but so far it's delivered fairly well. The dialogue goes along well with Black Canary and Green Arrow's coarse humor, and the story is actually delivering me something interesting using characters I normally don't care so much about.

The story progressed nicely for a first issue, not being over-burdened with introductions or flashbacks but moving along well while explaining what's happened already to the new readers. It leaves us with another bit of a cliffhanger, but not such a major one as last time. There are a few particularly nice scenes, the best (to me) being Dr. Mid-Nite explaining the autopsy he and Batman are about to perform as Batman powers up an electric saw in the background.

I really have a thing for the clean, crisp style here, somewhat similar to the pop-art style of Mike Allred's stuff, but less colorful, more conservative. I particularly like this style when applied to the older characters -- Batman, Dr. Mid-Nite, classic Green Arrow.

Good issue of what looks to be a pretty decent series. I'm definitely looking forward to future issues of this.

No comments: